Monday, November 30, 2009

prompt one

On the first day of VIPS I was so excited to meet the kids and to start working in the classrooms. As I pull up to the school I notice that it pretty plane looking, there is just a teacher parking lot and a brick building. For a school containing only kindergarten and first grade students I was surprised to find no entertainment for the children out side. The school sign was very dull and the windows blocked off with bars. If I didn’t know it, I would never think this was an elementary school. As I walked in to Happy Days School*, I notice the outgoing colors that fill the walls with characters of children books that I remember reading as a kid. I loved how they used characters that everyone would recognize when first walking into the school, it made the atmosphere feel very inviting. The faculty and staff was nothing but welcoming, and they were extremely organized with what they wanted us to do with our students. Walking into my kindergarten classroom I noticed every student had their own cubbies containing their pencils, crayons and note books. The carpet was sectioned off and each student had their own square to sit on. There were names of the students on the tile floor lined up at the door for when the students line up to leave for class. I realized that it was really important for each child to have their own space and boundaries for the classroom. I thought my teacher; Mrs. A was so good with the students and really patient. She would always have the classroom under her control and the students would respect her. Mrs. A* would do the same activities that I remember doing in my kindergarten class, such as counting the days of school going around the classroom on a time line. The students kept journals of each month where they would practice writing their letters in. I this school you can tell that each teacher and faculty member want the best for each student. While the students are with them, they want their students to obtain as much information as much as they can, with the children wanting to learn. They have folders for their students showing what level of reading they are on and the activities they have that can help them with the skills they are struggling with. I notice the teachers helping one another other out to make sure each student has complete understanding of the material going on in the classroom.

4 comments:

  1. Your school definitely seems to all be on the same page. I wish that every classroom teacher could have the relationship where they all know that the students are at the same level. I know in the first grade I have is on different levels then the first grade next door just because some of the kids are having a harder time. For your students also have their own space is defintely positive beause they are learning about boundries. My students have these folders they put on their desk that are in sets of four and the folders are called "offices" and each students puts their office up if they do not want the other students looking at their things. It is definitely a good idea. The teachers seem like they are filling the students with Kahne & Westheimers theory on change. Are in a transformative experience with caring people. As well as they are developing social reconstruction with their boundries. THis will make them better students and children in the long hall. Change is always important at a younger age so it is easier for them to make better decisions because they want to, not just because they should.
    Ira Shor talks about an empowerment for critical and democratic pedagogy for self and social change. I hope that all of the students are getting a chance to , and i know their young, but a chance to try and see how they can be different. That they are being affective intellectually by being able to learn without memorization which is a big problem in a lot of school systems. It is easy for a child to obtain information but to really learn it is the key.
    I hope your experiences keep on going very well and that the children can teach you because they definitely all have a story to tell.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Rachael,

    You seem to be having a great experience in your school. Your descriptions about the overall appearance of your school reminded of me of the school I volunteer at. From the outside and even the hallways, it didn't seem like anything special. However, when I stepped into the classroom, it was like walking into a completely different place. It is wonderful to see the classrooms decorated with learning tools and children's work. I think it is nice that your teacher took the time to make the classroom visually fun for the students. I also like the idea of giving each child their own cubby and having a checkered group rug that provides each child with their own square. As you have said, it does give each child their space, but I also think it connects them to the classroom; they know that they are a part of the classroom and have a place in the classroom that is their own.

    It is interesting to see some of the similarities between the class you are volunteering in and also, the class you belonged to when you were younger. I know I recognized similarities between my education and the classroom I was in. The teachers and students sound like they have a lot to offer. I hope that you continue to have a positive experience within your classroom.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like your first day at your school for VIPS was extremely successful. Its wonderful to hear that the place was so welcoming which probably made it a lot more easier for you to feel comfortable. I wish that my school had the same aspects as the way that you described your school. Its good that the classrooms were bright and organized. Also your teacher sounds excellent. I enjoyed reading the part that describes how your teacher runs her classroom.
    To me, your classroom and your teacher's way of teaching her students reminded me a lot of Ira Shor's approach and view on how education should be. He talks about how students should express and hold democratic rights and have a lot of say in how they learn and the success that can come from that. He also states that if the teacher lets students engage more within the classroom through their own approach, and discussion with the teacher, the teacher becomes closer to their students. Giving her students their respected space and her patience definitely seems to be working within her class. Its a good thing that your teacher has respect for her students and vise versa. I feel that if there is no respect within a class either towards the teacher or the students (or both) then there is nothing at all. I hope that the rest of your visits were just as nice and good luck to your future in teaching!

    ReplyDelete
  4. your school and its teachers seem like they all worked together. with team work and ubderstanding a school can work as a whole. I wish the school that I volunteered at was that put together. to have their students orgainized at this early of a age is a great skill and one that i wished i had obtained in my early days. students need orgainization. i think that if they had more of it they would h\be able to concentrate more and would not procrastinate. Everyone has their own space and that space is important to you. The fact that teachers are also looking out for one another is great. Teachers helping teachers is great. It's a great learning experience and if someone is new to the game this will also help them out

    ReplyDelete